Apr 29, 2006

Engaging

I have spent a lot of my life un-engaged with the world around me. I have always stepped back into the shadows to avoid putting a burden on others, to avoid being seen or heard, to avoid being known. And yet in those shadows my heart has always wept in grief that I was not seen or heard, that my life had no impact on others, that no one really knew me.

The last few months have been about engaging the world around me. Stepping out into the unknown situations that life presents and choosing to embrace the moment, the person, the place. It has been a seemingly easy transition. It has led to new friendships, new adventures, and new heart aches. Each step out has resulted in a powerful recoil of self, a recoil into self. It is a fear, or intense shame, that questions my very being in the moments of engagement that have passed.

What is this fear? And why is it so intense now?

I am moving toward a new challenge that I know will force me into engagement at a whole new level. It is an adventure that will ask me to be fully present and completely authentic. It will ask me to be myself in the face of rejection, to speak truth in the midst of disagreement. Right now I fear that challenge, and yet I know that it will be the battle against my fears that will give me confidence to continue to engage.

Christ calls his followers to engage. So why is this fear so present in my life right now? I can only suppose that Jesus is seeking me out, calling me out of the shadows I have lived in, asking me to depend on his grace and strength in my weakness. It is a beautifully frightening call.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, testing....1,2,3...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful thoughts, Caz. Deep. This "engaging" is vital for community. What we were created for: relationship.