Apr 6, 2006

Doing The Next Thing

Do the next thing.
That has been the consistent advice of my mentor for 10 years. It is advice that has taken me 10 years to even begin to understand. This is one little next step to figuring out the next steps ahead, and inviting others to participate.

Making one's thoughts public seems terribly narcissistic, or on the other extreme, needy. And yet there is something incredibly desirous about having others participate in your internal dialogue. Perhaps any thoughts that make it to this space could be stored away in a private journal, but then they would be just that. Private, like a secret. The daily meandering of my life isn't a secret, and I don't want it to be. And so here I go...

My life seems full of next steps right now.
Stepping out of a career,
and stepping into grad school.
Stepping out of the roles I had accepted for myself,
and stepping into uncharted paths.
Stepping out of comfort and control,
and stepping into the unknown.
Fortunately, there are many others that have taken these steps before me. Like this one...
"Never be afraid to trust an unkown future to a known God."
Corrie Ten Boom

2 comments:

elly said...

caz...the first spice girl to start a blog! in fact, last year i even signed up here on blogspot, but i haven't written yet. i've considered it so many times, and i too have felt the tension between narcissism (sp?)and neediness. but by opening up your internal dialogue to us and to others, how different is it from a conversation? people only read and respond if they want to. keep writing...i'm thrilled to be a part of your journey to the next thing!

caz said...

Oh beth! Sorry it took me so long to figure these comments out! So good to hear from you!

What is your blog name? You will have to keep the spice girls posted on your site.

Thank you for always journeying with me my friend, even from such great distances.